CEAL Impact and Published Research
CEAL by the Numbers
October 28, 2022
NIH CEAL has made a big impact in the two years since its launch. Teams are collaborating with nearly 1,000 organizations and are partnering with over 500 community partners. Check out our key accomplishments to date accompanied by the NIH CEAL By the Numbers infographic.See CEAL’s Accomplishments
Journal articles about CEAL Teams' research
- Jiménez DJ, Gomez O, Meraz R, et al. Community Engagement Alliance (CEAL) Against COVID-19 Disparities: academic-community partnership to support workforce capacity building among Arizona community health workers. Front Public Health. 2023 Feb 2;11:1072808.
- Ogungbe O, Slone S, Alharthi A, et al. "Living like an empty gas tank with a leak: Mixed methods study on post-acute sequelae of COVID-19." PLoS One. 2022 Dec 30;17(12):e0279684.
- Moore R, Rojo MO, Purvis RS, et al. Overcoming barriers and enhancing facilitators to COVID-19 vaccination in the Hispanic community. BMC Public Health. 2022 Dec 20;22(1):2393.
- Moore R, Purvis RS, Willis DE, et al. The vaccine hesitancy continuum among hesitant adopters of the COVID-19 vaccine. Clin Transl Sci. 2022 Dec;15(12):2844-2857.
- Purvis RS, Moore R, Willis DE, et al. Factors influencing COVID-19 vaccine decision-making among hesitant adopters in the United States. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2022 Nov 30;18(6):2114701.
- Rios-Fetchko F, Carson M, Gonzalez Ramirez M, et al. COVID-19 vaccination perceptions among young adults of color in the San Francisco Bay Area. Health Equity. 2022 Nov 10;6(1):836-844.
- Ogungbe O, Gilotra NA, Davidson PM, et al. Cardiac postacute sequelae symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 in community-dwelling adults: cross-sectional study. Open Heart. 2022 Sep 5;9(2):e002084.
- Saw A, Yi SS, Ðoàn LN, et al. Improving Asian American health during the Syndemic of COVID-19 and racism. EClinicalMedicine. 2022 Feb 26;45:101313.
- Seguin-Fowler RA, Amos C, Beech BM, et al. The Texas Community-Engagement Research Alliance Against COVID-19 in Disproportionately Affected Communities (TX CEAL) Consortium. J Clin Transl Sci. 2022 Apr 25;6(1):e64.
- Sokale I, Alvarez J, Rosales O, et al. COVID-19 Vaccine uptake among US adults according to standard occupational groups. Vaccines (Basel). 2022 Jun 23;10(7):1000.
- Srivastava T, Shen AK, Browne S, et al. Comparing COVID-19 vaccination outcomes with parental values, beliefs, attitudes, and hesitancy status, 2021-2022. Vaccines (Basel). 2022;10(10):1632.
- Thompson EL, Beech BM, Ferrer RL, et al. Implementation of the Texas Community-Engaged Statewide Consortium for the Prevention of COVID-19. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022 Oct 28;19(21):14046.
- McElfish PA, Rowland B, Scott AJ, Andersen JA, CarlLee S, McKinnon JC, Reece S, Meredith-Neve SM, Macechko MD, Gurel-Headley M, Willis DE. Hesitant adopters: An examination of hesitancy among adults in Arkansas who have taken the COVID-19 vaccine. Clin Transl Sci. 2022a;15(10):2316-22.
- Bastida E, Ravelo GJ, Benitez P, Chavez J, Metheny N, Baeza Robba MJ, Colón-Burgos JF, De La Rosa M, Behar-Zusman V, Carrasquillo O. COVID-19, science, vaccines and family in a multi origin Latinx population in South Florida. Front Public Health. 2022;10:997449.
- Srivastava T, Shen AK, Browne S, Michel JJ, Tan ASL, Kornides ML. Comparing COVID-19 Vaccination Outcomes with Parental Values, Beliefs, Attitudes, and Hesitancy Status, 2021-2022. Vaccines (Basel). 2022;10(10).
- Epperson AE, Carson SL, Garcia A, et al. A qualitative study of COVID-19 vaccine decision making among urban Native Americans. Vaccine X. 2022 Aug 30;12:100212.
- Shen AK, Browne S, Srivastava T, Michel JJ, Tan ASL, Kornides ML. Factors Influencing Parental and Individual COVID-19 Vaccine Decision Making in a Pediatric Network. Vaccines (Basel). 2022;10(8).
- Willis DE, Andersen JA, Hallgren E, Moore R, Selig JP, Scott AJ, Kraleti SS, McElfish PA. COVID-19 Death Exposure among Adults in the United States. Omega (Westport). 2022a:302228221116523.
- Kaholokula JK, AuYoung M, Chau M, Sambamoorthi U, Carson S, Thao C, Nguyen M, Alo A, Riklon S, Lepule T, Ma GX. Unified in Our Diversity to Address Health Disparities Among Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders. Health Equity. 2022;6(1):540-5.
- Willis DE, Andersen JA, Montgomery BEE, Selig JP, Shah SK, Zaller N, Bryant-Moore K, Scott AJ, Williams M, McElfish PA. COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy and Experiences of Discrimination Among Black Adults. J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2022b:1-10.
- Harrison JD, Palmer NRA, Cabrera A, Fleisher P, Wong E, LeSarre M, Grumbach K, Banta J, Tealer L, Reynolds A, Wassmann A, Rose T, Nguyen T. Addressing the challenges of conducting community-engaged research during COVID-19: Rapid development and evaluation of a COVID-19 Research Patient and Community Advisory Board (PCAB). J Clin Transl Sci. 2022;6(1):e88.
- Nguyen C, Gilbert L, Diep J, et al. Identifying Facilitators and Barriers to Increasing COVID-19 Vaccination and Trial Participation in Vaccinated Vietnamese Americans. Health Equity. 2022 Jun 27;6(1):485-493.
- Zeng S, Pelzer KM, Gibbons RD, et al. Association of ZIP code vaccination rate with COVID-19 mortality in Chicago, Illinois. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 May 2;5(5):e2214753.
- Castellon-Lopez YM, Carson SL, Mansfield L, Garrison NA, Barron J, Morris D, Ntekume E, Vassar SD, Norris KC, Brown AF, Casillas A. "The System Doesn't Let Us in"-A Call for Inclusive COVID-19 Vaccine Outreach Rooted in Los Angeles Latinos' Experience of Pandemic Hardships and Inequities. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022;19(10).
- Hopfer S, Fields EJ, Ramirez M, Long SN, Huszti HC, Gombosev A, Boden-Albala B, Sorkin DH, Cooper DM. Adolescent COVID-19 Vaccine Decision-Making among Parents in Southern California. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022;19(7).
- Stadnick NA, Cain KL, Watson P, Oswald W, Ibarra M, Lagoc R, Pezzoli K, Laurent LC, Tukey R, Rabin AB. Engaging Underserved Communities in COVID-19 Health Equity Implementation Research: An Analysis of Community Engagement Resource Needs and Costs. Front Health Serv. 2022b;2.
- Butler JZ, Carson M, Rios-Fetchko F, Vargas R, Cabrera A, Gallegos-Castillo A, LeSarre M, Liao M, Woo K, Ellis R, Liu K, Burra A, Ramirez M, Doyle B, Leung L, Fernandez A, Grumbach K. COVID-19 vaccination readiness among multiple racial and ethnic groups in the San Francisco Bay Area: A qualitative analysis. PLoS One. 2022;17(5):e0266397.
- Assoumou SA, Peterson A, Ginman E, et al. Addressing Inequities in SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Uptake: The Boston Medical Center Health System Experience. Ann Intern Med. 2022 May 17.
- Seguin-Fowler RA, Amos C, Beech BM, Ferrer RL, McNeill L, Opusunju JJ, Spence E, Thompson EL, Torres-Hostos LR, Vishwanatha JK. The Texas Community-Engagement Research Alliance Against COVID-19 in Disproportionately Affected Communities (TX CEAL) Consortium. J Clin Transl Sci. 2022;6(1):e64.
- Ignacio M, Oesterle S, Mercado M, et al. Narratives from African American/Black, American Indian/Alaska Native, and Hispanic/Latinx community members in Arizona to enhance COVID-19 vaccine and vaccination uptake. J Behav Med. 2022 Mar 24:1–13.
- Stadnick NA, Cain KL, Oswald W, et al. Co-creating a Theory of Change to advance COVID-19 testing and vaccine uptake in underserved communities. Health Serv Res. 2022 Mar 4.
- Yi SS, Kwon SC, Suss R, et al. The Mutually Reinforcing Cycle Of Poor Data Quality And Racialized Stereotypes That Shapes Asian American Health. Health Aff (Millwood). 2022 Feb;41(2):296-303.
- AuYoung M, Rodriguez Espinosa P, Chen WT, et al. Communications Working Group. Addressing racial/ethnic inequities in vaccine hesitancy and uptake: lessons learned from the California alliance against COVID-19. J Behav Med. 2022 Jan 22:1–14.
- Kreuter MW, Garg R, Marsh A, et al. Intention to vaccinate children for COVID-19: A segmentation analysis among Medicaid parents in Florida. Prev Med. 2022 Mar;156:106959.
- Alcendor DJ, Juarez PD, Matthews-Juarez P, Simon S, Nash C, Lewis K, Smoot D. Meharry Medical College Mobile Vaccination Program: Implications for Increasing COVID-19 Vaccine Uptake among Minority Communities in Middle Tennessee. Vaccines (Basel).2022;10(2).
- McElfish PA, Willis DE, Shah SK, Reece S, Andersen JA, Schootman M, Richard-Davis G, Selig JP, Warmack TS. Parents' and Guardians' Intentions to Vaccinate Children against COVID-19. Vaccines (Basel). 2022c;10(3).
- Willis DE, Schootman M, Shah SK, et al. Parent/guardian intentions to vaccinate children against COVID-19 in the United States. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2022 Nov 30;18(5):2071078.
- Willis DE, Selig JP, Andersen JA, et al. Hesitant but vaccinated: assessing COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy among the recently vaccinated. J Behav Med. 2022 Jan 15:1–10.
- Wong JA, Yi SS, Kwon SC, et al. COVID-19 and Asian Americans: reinforcing the role of community-based organizations in providing culturally and linguistically centered care. Health Equity. 2022 Mar 31;6(1):278-290.
- Chong SK, Ali SH, Ðoàn LN, et al. Social Media Use and Misinformation Among Asian Americans During COVID-19. Front Public Health. 2022 Jan 14;9:764681.
- McElfish PA, Willis DE, Shah SK, Bryant-Moore K, Rojo MO, Selig JP. Sociodemographic Determinants of COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy, Fear of Infection, and Protection Self-Efficacy. J Prim Care Community Health. 2021;12:21501327211040746.
- Ponce NA, Paycao D, Wells BM, et al. COVID-19 Rapid Response: How the California Health Interview Survey Adapted During the Global Pandemic. Am J Public Health. 2021 Dec;111(12):2122-2126.
- Purvis RS, Hallgren E, Moore RA, et al. Trusted Sources of COVID-19 Vaccine Information among Hesitant Adopters in the United States. Vaccines (Basel). 2021 Dec 1;9(12):1418.
- Hallgren E, Moore R, Purvis RS, et al. Facilitators to vaccination among hesitant adopters. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2021 Dec 2;17(12):5168-5175.
- Weng Y, Lu D, Bollyky J, et al. Race-ethnicity and COVID-19 vaccination beliefs and intentions: a cross-sectional study among the general population in the San Francisco Bay Area. Vaccines (Basel). 2021 Nov 29;9(12):1406.
- Bateman LB, Hall AG, Anderson WA, Cherrington AL, et al. Exploring COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy Among Stakeholders in African American and Latinx Communities in the Deep South Through the Lens of the Health Belief Model. Am J Health Promot. 2022 Feb;36(2):288-295.
- Moore R, Purvis RS, Hallgren E, et al. Motivations to Vaccinate Among Hesitant Adopters of the COVID-19 Vaccine. J Community Health. 2022 Apr;47(2):237-245.
- Aguilar-Gaxiola SA, Ramirez SM, Kissam E. A Reality Check From the Fields-What's Next? JAMA Netw Open. 2021 Sep 1;4(9):e2125128.
- Carson SL, Casillas A, Castellon-Lopez Y, et al. COVID-19 Vaccine Decision-making Factors in Racial and Ethnic Minority Communities in Los Angeles, California. JAMA Netw Open. 2021 Sep 1;4(9):e2127582.
- Grumbach K, Carson M, Harris OO. Achieving Racial and Ethnic Equity in COVID-19 Vaccination: From Individual Readiness to Health System Readiness. JAMA Health Forum. 2021a;2(7):e211724.
- Peeler A, Miller H, Ogungbe O, et al. Centralized registry for COVID-19 research recruitment: Design, development, implementation, and preliminary results. J Clin Transl Sci. 2021 Jul 14;5(1):e152.
- Grumbach K, Judson T, Desai M, et al. Association of Race/Ethnicity With Likeliness of COVID-19 Vaccine Uptake Among Health Workers and the General Population in the San Francisco Bay Area. JAMA Intern Med. 2021 Jul 1;181(7):1008-1011.
Follow CEAL on social media
CEAL on TwitterCEAL on LinkedIn